Baked Oysters With Parmesan Cheese & Spinach
Being a sucker for everything that comes out of the sea, it was a delight to have discovered the local Meat the Fish shop in Beirut. They serve the freshest, most exquisite ingredients in town, and their team is very helpful at selecting the best choices for a harmonious table. I then couldn’t wait for a Sunday gathering to show off my (rather modest) cooking skills, by serving my very own favourite oysters recipe.
Freshly served out of the oven, still in their half-shells, the smell of those baked oysters was heavenly. Even though it was one of several appetisers on the table, everybody wanted to have more. The recipe and preparations are so easy that I have no excuses not to make this delicacy several more times later.
So here’s my recipe for Baked Oysters With Parmesan Cheese & Spinach:
– 12 oysters in their half-shell
– 2/3 cup cooking cream
– 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh spinach
– 1/4 cup crushed garlic
– 50 g butter
– Salt, pepper & lemon juice to taste
1) Preheat the oven to around 250 degrees C.
2) In a pan, melt the butter, then add the crushed garlic. Stir for a minute until garlic is slightly brown.
3) Add the cooking cream. Bring the mixture to boil, & then thickens.
4) Add the parmesan cheese, and keep on stirring until a thick paste forms.
5) Season with salt, pepper & lemon juice, then remove from heat.
6) Place the oysters on a baking tray, & top each with a spoonful of the mixture. Sprinkle the fresh spinach on each one as well.
7) Bake for around 12 minutes, until brown & bubbly.
Serve the oysters directly out of the oven, with pieces of soft baguette to suck out the delicious juices on the shell after the oysters are eaten.
The best wine to go with this dish is Sancerre, which perfectly brings out the flavours.
& bon appetit!
If you live in Lebanon, where do you shop for the best fresh seafood?
Don’t forget to follow us to stay updated on the latest inspirations in arts, beauty, travel, style, dining out & some many more exciting projects coming up this year!