Our Holiday’s Table
Christmas and new year were blissful this year. We had nice reflective conversations around food tables, and outdoor gatherings with just the right people around. Some prepared at home, our food and drinks recipes tasted much better than ever. One of my favorite dishes that was prepared for our Christmas holiday’s table, is the spicy Shrimp, Tomato, and Basile pasta.
Simple, rich and Italian! What can we say more? Here’s a recipe that serves four:
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 600g peeled, cleaned, medium-sized shrimps (remove tails)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 250g Linguini
- 500g diced tomatoes (keep their juice)
- 1 pint cherry tomatos, cut in half (keep some whole pieces)
- 2 cups water
- 6 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup of fresh basil leafs, tear into small pieces (keep some whole for garnish)
- 1 tbsp of hot sauce (optional)
- Salt, black pepper and hot pepper to taste
- Season shrimp with salt and peppers. In a large pan, heat 4 teaspoons oil over high heat. Add shrimp, and cook until opaque throughout, turning occasionally. Transfer to a bowl; set aside. (Should take 3 minutes).
- To the same pan, add the remaining olive oil and garlic; cook over medium heat for around 30 second, until fragrant. Add the diced tomatoes, their juice, and two cups of water; bring to boil.
- When they start boiling, reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes, until tomatoes have softened and the sauce thickens. Add peppers to taste, in addition to hot sauce.
- Remove from heat, and stir in cherry tomatoes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, add the pasta and cook until al dente or according to package instructions (around 7 minutes).
- Drain the pasta, and put back into the pot. Add the tomato sauce, basil and shrimps. Mix well.
- Serve immediately, with sprinkled basil & parmesan if desired.
Et voila! A beautiful Italian heart-warming meal that looks sophisticated enough over your holiday’s table!